for Safety during Easter
1. Did you know that Easter lilies and
other spring flowers (daffodils) can be toxic if ingested? Some of the signs
are vomiting, lethargy, and if left untreated, may cause kidney (renal) failure
2. Easter basket grass can also be a
dangerous to pets. If ingested can become a serious medical emergency. The long
strings of grass can become trapped in the intestinal tract causing vomiting,
painful straining to defecate, and a painful abdomen. A surgical procedure may
be required to remove the grass.
3. The Easter Bunny loves to bring us
all kinds on candy in our baskets, please make sure your beloved pets do not
sneak any. As the candy we love can be toxic to them. For example Chocolate
contains caffeine, and theobromine which can cause intestinal upset,
hyperactivity, seizures. Also sugar substitutes like Xylitol can cause a drop
in blood sugar, seizures, even liver failure.
4. If you are planning to dying Easter
eggs be sure to keep pets away from the dye,
and vinegar. As vinegar can cause drooling, pawing at mouth, vomiting, and
abdominal pain in pets. Also egg shells are not readily digested and can cause
several days of discomfort.
5. Easter egg hunting can be fun for
everyone, but remember dogs like to find thing too. The items we place inside
the eggs can be toxic to beloved pets. Also plastic eggs ingested can cause a serious
medical emergency. Plastic is not digestible, and can cause lacerations to the
intestines, and or, a blockage that may require a surgical procedure at your
6. Table scraps – are a danger for your
pets, the fatty foods we eat at the holidays can cause stomach problems such as
gastrointestinal upsets. Also the onions/onion powder used to season food can
destroy red blood cells in your dog or cat which can lead to anemia. Grapes and
raisins contain a toxin that can cause kidney damage in both dogs and cats if
ingested. Did you also know Herbs and their essential oils/resins can cause
gastrointestinal upset, even central nervous system depression to pets
7. Bones can cause choking, or possible other
obstructions that may need to be removed by an emergency surgical procedure. To
be safe discard any unused bones in a secure bag and place in a garage can outside
that locks closed.
8. Holiday guests coming over can
provide an open door for escape. Please make sure pets are micro chipped and
have current ID tags. Or to make it less
stressful on you and your pet try placing them in a separate room, or kenneling
them at a boarding facility.
9. Remember when serving deserts that
some chemicals found in sweets are toxic to pets, (i.e.) Chocolate, Xylitol.
10. If having guests over please make
sure pets are up to date on all their vaccines.