More Info

  • Canine Influenza Letter

    May 4, 2018

     

    Dear Clients:

           Recently, we’ve been receiving questions from some of our pet owners about a dog virus called canine influenza. They were concerned about stories they had seen or read in the news about “dog flu” outbreaks. In answering their questions, we realizes that all of our dog owners may have similar questions and concerns. So, we’re writing to tell you about canine influenza, what puts dogs at risk and what can be done to protect them.

    Canine influenza is a relatively new disease and can be caused by two different canine influenza virus strains, H3N* and H3N2. Both strains of canine influenza virus cause respiratory disease in dogs. Affected dogs may develop coughing, nasal discharge, fever, lethargy and loss of appetite. The signs of infection are similar to those of other respiratory disease in dogs. With proper medical attention, most dogs will recover. However, in some cases, canine influenza can progress to a more severe or even life-threatening condition, such as pneumonia.

    Canine influenza is highly contagious, so visiting places where dogs socialize or congregate, such as doggie day cares, dog parks, boarding facilities and urban location, places dog dogs at higher risk for becoming infected. Making the situation even more difficult to control is that dogs can spread the virus before signs of illness appear.

    The best way to protect your dog from canine influenza is through vaccination. Fortunately, there are vaccines now available for each canine influenza strain, H3N8 and H3N2, The initial vaccination requires two doses of each vaccine, given 2 to 4 weeks apart. Thereafter, an annual booster for each influenza strain is recommended for continued protection.

    We recommend vaccinating dogs against both canine influenza H3N8 and H3N2 and have vaccines available. Please call us to discuss any questions you might have and to set up an appointment.

     

    Sincerely,

    The Staff at Layhill Animal Hospital

  • Valentine's Day Safety Tips

    Top of Form

    Valentine’s Day Pet Health/ Safety Tips

     

    Celebrating Valentine’s Day with the ones we love should be a great day, and not one you should have to sit in Pet ER. We would like to share some ways to keep your beloved furry family members safe.

    1.       Flowers are a nice gift to send to someone you care about-but remember some of them can be Toxic to pets. Especially Lilies can be deadly to our feline friends, even the water they are put into.  Roses also pose a danger to pets from their thorns- swallowing or stepping on stems can cause a serious wound that may become infected.

    2.       It is sweet to give your sweetheart a box of Chocolate, or sugar-free candy for V-day, just remember pets like to sneak pieces to. Most common Types are Milk and Dark chocolates, and bakers Chocolate. Chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, seizures, and tachycardia. Sugar –free candy contains Xylitol which can lead to hypoglycemia in pets. It can also cause depression, seizures.

    3.       A little mood lighting with candles can pose a fire hazard if knocked over by a curios pet. They may also get burned if they get to close to flame. Make sure to never leave unattended candles around pets.

    4.       Toast anyone? Serving wine or champagne to celebrate the special day.  Alcohol even in small amounts can be very harmful to pets. Some of the symptoms that alcohol can cause in pets are lack of coordination, tremors, trouble breathing, and coma. Larger amounts can cause fatal respiratory failure if ingested.

    5.       Pretty Ribbons and Bows look great on presents, not so much inside a beloved pets tummies. They can cause vomiting, and even a blockage that may need to be removed surgically. Please make sure wrapping go into trash not pets tummies.

    6.       Gifting a furry companion for a love one might sound like a great idea, but remember a pet is a lifelong commitment your love one may not be ready for.  Returning a pet may be more complicated than you think.

    7.       Popping the Question? Remember pets like sparkly stuff too (Gems/Diamonds) belong on your fingers and necks, and not in their tummies. Be careful that you do not end up engaged to a Pet Emergency Hospital this Valentine Day.

    8.       Homemade dog treats are fun and tasty for your furry love ones. You can try recipe from the Home and Family show. Ingredients: 1 cup pumpkin puree, ¼ cup peanut butter, ¼ cup coconut milk, 3 cups gluten- free oats. Directions: in a bowl, combine pumpkin, peanut butter, and coconut milk until well combined. Gradually add 2 ½ cups old fashioned oats at low speed, beating just until incorporated. Roll the mixture out on a cutting board and flatten with a rolling pin, the mixture should be pretty thick about ¼ inch. (because they will not rise.) You can use flour to make it less sticky. Using a heart sharp cookie cutter, cut out hearts and set them on a cookie sheet with wax or parchment paper. Place in the refrigerator until firm, about 1 hour.

  • HeadlineCanine Influenza Outbreak 2015-2017

    Canine Influenza Outbreak 2015-2017

    Update 2017-

    As of May 2017 H3N2 canine influenza has been confirmed in the following states. Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, Louisiana, and Illinois. There is a new vaccine that helps to lower the risk of contracting H3N2, H3N8.

    There has been a recent outbreak of Canine Influenza in the Midwest. Researchers have linked it to a new strain of the H3N8 virus for which we are currently vaccinating. The new strain is called H3N2. It is not known if the current vaccine will provide any protection from this new virus. The Maryland Department of Agriculture first notified the public in August of 2013 of the virus being identified in six dogs from a dog park in Montgomery County of which two died. As of August 29, there were twenty cases of H3N8 in Montgomery County. Canine influenza has been found in 30 states and the District of Columbia. Symptoms of both viruses include persistent coughing, runny nose, fever, and lethargy. The H3N2 virus can also cause illness in cats. The virus is spread through respiratory secretions, and can remain alive on surfaces for 48hours, on clothing for 24 hours, and on human hands for 12 hours. Some dogs may not show any symptoms and can still be infected. In the latest outbreak, there have been 6 reported deaths, and thousands of illnesses. If your pet goes to boarding or grooming facilities, or dog parks, and you have any concerns, please contact our office at (301) 598-7300.